Well I am joining in the Edit Me Challenge again. It is fun to play around with another person’s photo. You don’t have preconceived ideas about how it was supposed to look when you were taking it. You just get to see it and change it however you want.
I never think of it as a “fix this photo” or anything like that. Just put your twist or style to someone’s photo. You are only limited by your imagination.
You should really join in and have fun. Another reason you should join in is because I am giving away a seat to my workshop to one of the participants! I know you are excited, don’t try to hide it.
Here is the original photo shared over at Edit Me Challenge.
Here is my edit.
What I did:
- Opened it with Adobe Camera Raw
- Darkened shadows to –35
- Darkened highlights to –27
- Adjusted the temp to warm it up
- Recovered some highlights
- Cloned out the background to make it really smooth
- Clone part of the bench leg to make it have a straight leg
- Dodged and burned here and there
- Added a texture in softlight blend mode at 22% opacity with layer mask over cat at 45% brush opacity.
- Converted to black and white
- Bumped the contrast up a tad
- Added a duplicate layer in multiply blend mode to make the custom vignette. You can find out how to do a custom vignette here.
- Sharpened/optimized and saved for web.
So the original photographer may hate it, but it is what I did as I felt it. Looking at it now I would like to re-edit it, but I think that about every single one of my shots. I am never ever completely happy. Are you like that too?